Re: Sensitive sort problem?

From: "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
To: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sensitive sort problem?
Date: 2003-11-25 16:43:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

I give an example:

These are the datas from the table names:

id n1 n2
1 AaAa AaAa
2 X X
3 A A
4 a a
5 ab ab
6 _Y _Y
8 ..a ..a
9 .x .x
7 ...a ...a

If I run: select * from names order by n1: the result is:

id n1 n2
4 a a
8 ..a ..a
3 A A
1 AaAa AaAa
5 ab ab
9 .x .x
2 X X
6 _Y _Y

Which I don't think that is right. I don't know what happened. But I find that the ASCII char order is not respected here.

I have another machine on which the result is okay....I don't have a clue.

Andy.