Re: How robust is postgresql ?

From: "Simon Crute" <Simon(at)geordie(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How robust is postgresql ?
Date: 2001-03-07 21:14:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the answer, (and thanks to adb too)

> 7.1 has write-ahead logging (WAL), which does what you are looking for.
> See http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/admin/wal.html
>
> The fsync mode also helps with data integiry, but it *really* slows down
> the system, unfortunately.

Looks like WAL is what we want. I understand that 7.1 should be out in a few
weeks ?

> > The other question is Backups. Is there anyway to take diferential
backups ?
> > I.E do a full dump periodically, and then make diferential backups from
time
> > to time (preferably to a differet box)
>
> You can do a database dump and back up the SQL generated, or do a
> filesystem backup. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/admin/backup.html for
> information on the specifics.

I was looking for ways of backing up only data that had changed since the
last backup. The server will probably be hosted with an ISP so I don't want
unnecessary data transfers.