Which API should I use ?

From: "Sebastien FLAESCH" <sf(at)4js(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Which API should I use ?
Date: 2000-10-17 11:00:02
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi all,

I am looking for the right PostgreSQL API (interface) to be used
to write a db driver for our 4gl virtual machine (www.4js.com).

As most database drivers, dynamic SQL must be supported, where SQL
parameters are unknown at (driver) compile time.

So I need some feature like ODBC's SQLBindCol()/SQLBindParameter()
to implement this driver.

I think the driver cannot be implemented with Postgre's E-SQL C,
because the current ecpg version does not support "DESCRIPTORs" or
"SQLDA" as INFORMIX ESQL/C, to manage SQL parameters dynamically.

I know PostgreSQL supports and ODBC interface for both UNIX and NT,
but I would like to use a native interface. I do not want to install
an ODBC driver manager like iodbc or ApplixWare.

I would like to use a native API like the Oracle Call Interface or
the IBM DB2 Call Level Interface.

Does this kind of interface exist for Postgre SQL ?
As far as I know, libpq is not the right way because you cannot
manage SQL parameters dynamically...

Current ODBC solution is ODBC 2 compliant, what about ODBC 3 ?
I found the 'src/cli' directory but these are only examples.
Is this an ODBC 3 project ?
Where is the interface library ?

Who can I contact to discuss or send my requets ?

Thanks!
--
Sebastien FLAESCH [sf(at)4js(dot)com]
Four J's Development Tools [http://www.4js.com]