Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.

From: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Paul Ganainm" <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "Doug McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Firebird and PostgreSQL at the DB Corral.
Date: 2003-12-23 05:17:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all;

Having had some experience with both IB/FB and PgSQL, here is my quick
comparison. Disclaimer: I only have basic experience with IB/FB as of 1.0.
If these features are now supported, I will happily admit I am wrong ;-)

1: Varchar() is not supported. I.e. all varchar types must have a maximum
length defined. This can make certain types of applications support
arbitrary limits on input data.

2: I found stored procedures much harder to work with because the end of
line delimiter had to be changed.

3: I found that the case sensitivity of the database server to be
unintuitive.

Basically, I found arbitrary limits difficult to work with for applications
requiring lists of text of arbitrary, user (rather than admin) defined
lengths. F. ex. a CRM app which needs to store text ranging from a hundred
to several thousand characters. I also found the learning curve steeper
than that of PgSQL.

Other than that, it seems pretty good. I also like the external table
features, though you could do something similar with Pl/PerlU....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers