Re: x = NULL

From: "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: x = NULL
Date: 2001-09-10 16:13:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The x = NULL hack keeps biting people. Innocent people should not be
> exposed to incorrect behaviour because of (supposed) MS Access breakage.
> I strongly urge that we do one of the following:
>
> 1) Provide a tunable knob to turn this on (cf. KSQO)
>
> 2) Confine this to the ODBC driver somehow (which could be done via #1)
>
> Actually, last time we discussed this there was some confusion whether
> Access actually had the bug in question. That might be worth figuring
> out.

A while back I tested Oracle and MSSQL7 for this -- neither support it. See:
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1021527

I just checked MS Access 2000 -- it also returns no records on x = NULL
versus the correct answer with x IS NULL, at least for a simple query. IIRC,
someone mentioned that the original issue was limited to the use of filtered
forms in Access, or something like that. But ISTM, that if neither Oracle
nor even MSSQL support the syntax, then PostgreSQL should not either.

-- Joe