Re:

From: "Daniel B(dot) Thurman" <dant(at)cdkkt(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgAdmin Support" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:
Date: 2007-09-28 17:24:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

>Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> Thanks for some details and it helps, except the following step:
>>
>> 10) Create Paths on the master to both slaves, and on each
>slave back to
>> the master. Create the paths under each node on the master, using
>> the connection strings specified in the slon config
>files. Note that
>> future restructuring of the cluster may require
>additional paths to
>> be defined.
>>
>> Can you please elaborate?
>>
>> I am not clear if by "master" you mean "master server" or
>"master node"
>> and likewise for "slave" you mean "slave server" or "slave node".
>
>Technically node (or database). That tutorial was written
>using a single
>server which is stated at the beginning so there is no master or slave
>server.
>
>> It is not clear if I need only to update the paths only on the
>> master-server and if any work needs to be done for the paths on
>> the slave-servers.
>
>Check the slony docs for more info on paths, but essentially you need
>paths on each node pointing to every other node it might talk
>to. So in
>the example given, the master has paths to both slaves, and each slave
>has a path to the master. If you restructure the cluster, and make a
>slave the master, you will need to add a path on that node to the
>remaining slave, and on the remaining slave to the new master.
>
>Regards, Dave

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>Date: 9/27/2007 5:00 PM

Oh my.

My arrangement is for 1 master (on one server) and two slaves (on two other
servers). With a little insight and with your help, I am able to replicate
the master to the two other slaves now! I did this so that I can have harware
redundancy and seperate databases scattered around in my environment.

Thank you for all of your help and most importantly, your patience with a
really ignorant newbie! ;)

Kind Regards,
Dan

Checked by AVG Free Edition.