Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, magnus <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section
Date: 2018-11-05 21:52:03
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

On 10/17/18 2:36 AM, Umair Shahid wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:17 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net
> <mailto:magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>> wrote:

> It is definitely true that you have worked quickly to address the
> problems that were there with the patch initially, and that is
> definitely appreciated. But just like with PostgreSQL itself, that's
> no guarantee that it will get in.
>
> It's just like the main PostgreSQL sourcecode -- we don't apply
> patches even though the author updates them quickly based on
> comments if it's determined that they are counterproductive to the
> bigger goal of the product. It's the same here, just for the website.

Given some other flurry on -www this week with patches, I want to write
in to say that this thread has not been forgotten. Based on various
discussions on-list, off-list, and at PGConf.EU, designing a patch
(likely patch set) for this will take some work and will most certainly
require review and discussion.

I went to make an initial attempt while at PGConf.EU and saw the design
scope would be a bit more complicated than one would think to ensure
it's clear for our users how to download the packages. I am hoping to
have something more concrete to share after the upcoming cumulative update.

Thanks,

Jonathan