Re: A few more questions

From: "Chris Smith" <cdsmith(at)twu(dot)net>
To: <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A few more questions
Date: 2004-02-14 23:45:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave,

Dave Cramer wrote:
> > 2. What's the oldest pgsql version that we intend to support with
> > the drivers in 7.4? Is it 7.0? 6.x?
>
> 7.2 is about as far back as I'd like to see handled

That would be great, from the perspective of trying to simplify the code.
However, there's a good bit of code there that exists to support at least as
old as 7.0 (the transaction isolation level stuff comes to mind). That code
also just happens to be interfering with what I'm doing right now. Is your
answer just a one of many opinions, or an okay to nix it all?

> > V2QueryExecutor - For v2 code
> > V3QueryExecutor - For v3 code
> > QueryExecutorUtil - For code shared between both classes above
> Any reason why you wouldn't extend V*QueryExecuter from
> BaseQueryExecutor ?

Actually, I would extend BaseQueryExecutor. I just hadn't completely thought
it through when I posted.

> These are a bit different, not sure what you have in mind here, but
> the reason they are named like that is to allow you to build under
> various JDK's, look in the build.xml file to see how that is handled.

I do understand that general situation with the separate packages and
interfaces for various JDBC/core API versions. I'm not entirely sure what I
have in mind here either; I suppose it's mostly QueryExecutor that I want to
split at this point, and perhaps to relocate some code from
AbstractJdbc1Statement and/or PGStream into the split QueryExecutor classes as
well. There seems to be general agreement with splitting QueryExecutor, I'll
write something first, and then see if there are remaining problems.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation