serious trouble with bool and Access

From: Markus Wagner <wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: serious trouble with bool and Access
Date: 2002-02-18 06:59:35
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

we're in serious trouble with an application using BOOLs. We have boolean
attributes in a pg table, being represented as checkboxes in Access. Changing
these controls results in an error message "another user has changed the
data", or something like that.

We tried nearly everything. The mailing list archives gave hints to the pg
ODBC driver, the "bools as char" flag and so on. We tried with and without
this flag. Then, without it, the problem seemed to be solved. But we found
that now the data must have been changed several times in different records,
before the problem reappears.

Our current settings are "bools as char" off, "text as longvarchar" off. The
bools are normal BOOL attributes of size 1, as reported by pgaccess. We also
tried to change the table properties for the fields in Access, "display as
checkbox" and so on. We drag the fields from the field list into the form.
But also changing the ODBC-connected tables directly results in the same
error.

Isn't there a unique solution to that? Why are bools that critical?

Thank you very much,

Markus