Counting distinct rows

From: John Taylor <postgres(at)jtresponse(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Counting distinct rows
Date: 2002-01-16 10:38:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm having problems counting the number of distinct rows in a table.

I've tried the following:

select distinct on(id) count(id) from basketupdates order by id desc;

but I get the error

ERROR: Attribute basketupdates.id must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function

I think it should say "MUST NOT", as if I remove the aggregate it works fine.
So I don't think this is the way to go about it.

Can anyone tell how I should be going about counting the distinct ids in a table ?

Thanks
JohnT