Re: Rewriting select statements

From: "Phil Cairns" <phil(at)pagaros(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rewriting select statements
Date: 2009-10-30 21:57:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Phil Cairns" <phil(at)pagaros(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > I want to have the server do this:
> > If the query has no where clause, use a where clause of "where 1=0".
>
> > Is this possible?
>
> It's doubtless *possible*, but if you're asking for it to actually
> happen in any supported version of Postgres, the answer is no way.
> It's directly contrary to the SQL standard.

Yeah. Not asking for a feature to be added, just asking if something already
existed, some sort of rule that could be created that would rewrite the
query.

> > Why would I want to do this? Because a third party library (ArcGIS) has
> > "feature" such that when a relation name is registered with it, it does
> > "select * from <relation>" and then does nothing with the results.
>
> Tell the library authors to fix their broken code. This is blithering
> stupidity in *any* SQL database, not only Postgres.

Tried that, and got no response. I fully agree that it's broken, but my
users just see the delay. I might have to try some sort of proxy
arrangement.

Thanks for your response,
Phil.