Re: sql window issues

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sql window issues
Date: 2006-04-09 14:11:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

-----Original Message-----
From: "Antoine"<melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Sent: 09/04/06 11:38:08
To: "Dave Page"<dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] sql window issues

> ps. I remember using a db frontend that had a syntax check function
> (sql server 2000 query analyser?) - that is what I have been using the
> explain analyse for I guess... could that be a functionality others
> might be interested in?

We have it for the View Data filters - but the problem is in this case we'd need to wrap the script in begin/rollback behind the scenes, but be *absolutely* sure the script won't mess that up in any way.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
> Well the error comes from PostgreSQL, not pgAdmin - and now you mention you are using EXPLAIN ANALYZE it all makes sense. EXPLAINing a CREATE TABLE is pointless and unsupported by PostgreSQL. You will get the same error from psql.
>
> If you want to test one or more queries before executing them for real, try something like:
>
> BEGIN;
>
> CREATE TABLE etape
> (
> n_etp_code numeric(6) NOT NULL, -- identifiant de la table
> t_etp_intitule varchar(50), -- nom en clair de l'étape
> CONSTRAINT pk_etape PRIMARY KEY (n_etp_code)
> )
> WITHOUT OIDS;
> ALTER TABLE etape OWNER TO "PRODUCTION";
>
> ROLLBACK;
>
> Then when you're happy, just change the ROLLBACK to COMMIT.
>
> Regards, Dave.

I thought it had to be something silly like that - thanks for the advice!
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.