Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, "wangsh(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangsh(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date: 2022-01-07 16:53:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/08/16 13:02, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> On 8/15/21, 1:05 AM, "wangsh(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangsh(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
>> I don't think calling function GetMaxBackends() in the for loop is a good idea.
>> How about use a temp variable to save the return value of function GetMaxBackends() ?
>
> I did this in v4. There may be a couple of remaining places that call
> GetMaxBackends() several times, but the function should be relatively
> inexpensive.

The patch handles only MaxBackends. But isn't there other variable having the same issue?

It seems overkill to remove "extern" from MaxBackends and replace MaxBackends with GetMaxBackends() in the existing PostgreSQL codes. I'm not sure how much it's actually worth doing that. Instead, isn't it enough to just add the comment like "Use GetMaxBackends() if you want to treat the lookup for uninitialized MaxBackends as an error" in the definition of MaxBackends?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center