Improve psql \d output

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Improve psql \d output
Date: 2003-03-24 04:30:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

Example:

test=# \d test
Table "public.test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
a | integer | not null
"test_pkey" PRIMARY KEY btree (a)
Check Constraints:
"$2" CHECK (a > 1)
Foreign Key Constraints:
"$1" FOREIGN KEY (a) REFERENCES parent(b)
Rules:
myrule AS ON INSERT TO test DO INSTEAD NOTHING
Triggers:
"asdf asdf" AFTER INSERT OR DELETE ON test FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE
PROCEDURE update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group(),
mytrigger AFTER INSERT OR DELETE ON test FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE
update_pg_pwd_and_pg_group()

I have minimised the double quoting of identifiers as much as I could
easily, and I will submit another patch when I have time to work on it that
will use a 'fmtId' function to determine it exactly.

I think it's a significant improvement in legibility...

Obviously the table example above is slightly degenerate in that not many
tables in production have heaps of (non-constraint) triggers and rules.

Chris

Attachment Content-Type Size
describe.txt text/plain 7.8 KB