Re: [HACKERS] postgres init script things solved

From: "Claudiu Balciza" <cbalciza(at)mail(dot)geocities(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postgres init script things solved
Date: 1998-04-28 05:46:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> > The postgresql-?.?.?/contrib/linux/postgres.init is meant to start your
>> > postmaster at boot time and stop it at halt/reboot. Excelent.
>> > But it is made for postgres account running tcsh. I know nothing about
tchs
>> > and my postgres account defaults to bash. So (thanks to Steve
"Stevers!"
>> > Coile) I changed it to bash:
>
>OK, but _I_ don't run bash. So someone else is now maintaining this
>file? Why didn't we keep both forms in the file, with one commented out?
>What are we trying to accomplish here??

Let me explain myself.

The point is I changed script because IT DIDN'T STOP THE POSTMATER.

The original 'touch' line was commented out so there was no way (by means of
sysV) the script would stop gracefully the postmaster. (I don't know what
damage would occur from improper shut down, but I dislike taking chances.)

And even more, just uncommenting the 'touch' line wouldn't make it right
since the sysV expects the 'touched file' to be named after the halt/reboot
script symlink (this also implies keeping the same name on both symlinks).
In the original script it was ${POSTMASTER} which expanded to 'postmaster'
while the sysV (X) editor symlinked it to [KS]??postgres.

About bash, it's the usual shell for regular users. I guess the start/stop
script was meant for users who don't know/cannot write their own.

Claudiu Balciza