v7.4 pg_dump(all) need to encode from SQL_ASCII to UTF8

From: Ralph Smith <smithrn(at)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: v7.4 pg_dump(all) need to encode from SQL_ASCII to UTF8
Date: 2008-02-23 01:57:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm looking at the v7.4 manuals and I don't see how to encode for
importing into a v8 DB using UTF8.

Maybe I'm making this hard on myself?
The old DB is using SQL_ASCII.
We'd like the new one to use UTF8.

As development proceeds, I'm going to have to do this regularly, both
the entire DB and by tables.
If not for the encoding, I've got all that down, even automated.

Thanks for any help!
Ralph

p.s. Isn't there a 16 bit Unicode for postgreSQL?

smithrn at u dot washington dot edu