Re: Stale external URL in doc?

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stale external URL in doc?
Date: 2020-07-09 07:46:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 9 Jul 2020, at 09:12, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> I see the following description in the doc.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/ssl-tcp.html
>
> Intermediate certificates that chain up to existing root certificates
> can also appear in the ssl_ca_file file if you wish to avoid storing
> them on clients (assuming the root and intermediate certificates were
> created with v3_ca extensions). Certificate Revocation List (CRL)
> entries are also checked if the parameter ssl_crl_file is set. (See
> http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html for
> diagrams showing SSL certificate usage.)
>
> I follwed the URL above and saw the "Support and other resources" page
> of the document "OpeNVMS Systems Documemtation Index page".

Right, it's redirecting there now. The same goes for a link to hpe.com on
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-ssl.html which too is redirected
to a larger documentation set.

> FWIW the folloing URL shows "HP Open Source Security for OpenVMS
> Volume 2: HP SSL for Open VMS", which seems to be the originally
> intended document..
>
> https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04622320

The intended document is a page which is more concise and to the point, the
full OpenVMS SSL documentation set doesn't really fit the purpose for this
link.

As a short term fix we should either a) remove these links completely or b)
link to archived copies of the pages on archive.org; or c) find a more
appropriate pages to link to. A quick search didn't turn up anything I would
prefer for (c), and I'm not sure what he legality of linking to a cached copy
is, so I would advocate for (a).

Longer term we should try to incorporate (some of) these diagrams and content
into our own documentation now that we have proper capability for inline
images.

cheers ./daniel