RE: Globally Unique IDs?

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "'Soma Interesting'" <dfunct(at)telus(dot)net>, "Rose, Keith" <keithr(at)aiinet(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Globally Unique IDs?
Date: 2001-03-30 19:20:22
Lists: pgsql-general

I believe Oracle's SYS_GUID will return an ID unique *throughout the world*
on *all hosts*. Other software uses GUID's for thinks like COM identifiers.
Typical output looks like:

351e1cc0-2540-11d5-a5cd-00036d15ee51

and is generated through some heuristics involving the current date, time,
MAC address, etc. I don't know the specifics -- except that the ID
generated will not be generated by anyone else anywhere. This would be a
useful addition, IMHO.

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com