convert text to number or number to text

From: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: convert text to number or number to text
Date: 1999-04-21 18:34:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm trying to do an update query that compares an int4 field to a variable
which I think contains a string (it was passed in through cgi.pm). can I
convert that string to an integer? - it will always be a number passing
through. I vaguely remember oracle having a to_number function - does
postgres have something similar?

jt