RE: [INTERFACES] whoops: VB RDO works just fine with new odbc dri ver....

From: Tim Bosinius <tim(at)bosinius(dot)de>
To: "'Krasnow, Greg'" <gak(at)hnc(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] whoops: VB RDO works just fine with new odbc dri ver....
Date: 1998-06-02 17:33:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> RDO offers more functionality than its predecessor DAO but at the cost
> of speed.
This is only partly correct. DAO/Jet is faster on Jet Databases, but if you use
it to connect to an ODBC datasource is much slower.
(see: Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Basic & SQL Server, Microsoft Press,
ISBN:1-57231-567-9)

IMHO Remote Data Objects are the best and fastest way to connect you VB
apps to a database. I have tried to use ODBCdirect and ADO but did not get
very far with it. ODBCdirect is really hard to implement and ADO is not really
an option yet. I have heard rumours that ADO will be the only supported
database access method in VB 6.0, but I do not really believe it.

Right now ADO lacks a couple of things:
- there is now information on it in the VB 5.0 documentation, but I found
a Microsoft Website that explains most of it.
- right now it only exposes a small subset of the RDO 2.0 functionality
(OK - it will encompass RDO & the rest someday and will be the
'all-in-one" interface - at least from a Microsoft point of view)

This will change with the next releases of ADO.

> In RDO and DAO you couldn't have a combined statement that used
> SELECT with INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, or ALTER (very annoying).

You can use the RDO EXECUTE method to submit any SQL statement you like.
The drawback is that it does not return anything (error / success) so you
have to rely on the ODBC driver to handle error messages correctly.
These error messages differ from ODBC driver to ODBC driver, which makes
it a little more work to handle those.

Regards
Tim Bosinius