Re: [HACKERS] error messages not only English

From: Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'Vadim Mikheev'" <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] error messages not only English
Date: 1998-05-26 17:47:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yes, there is a preferred standard, it defines char(5) strings that correspond to specific errors.
It is in SQLSTATE in ESQL/C programs and conforms to X/Open and ANSI.
It consits of numbers and upper case letters only. The first 2 digits are the Class the, last 3
are the subclass. I think only the Class is in the norm.

e.g.: 02000 No data found or End of data reached
00000 Success.
0A000 Feature not supported

You get additional info through:
exec sql get diagnostics :num_rows_affected = ROW_COUNT [, :num = NUMBER, ...];

The integer SQLCODE + the sqlca structure is from an old ANSI norm:
0 Success
100 end of data
< 0 execution not successful
> 0 warning