Re: improve installation short version

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improve installation short version
Date: 2021-06-02 20:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Jun 2, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>
> <short-version-comments.patch>

It's not the fault of your patch, but the docs seem to be misleading in ways that your comments don't fix. (Or perhaps my Windows knowledge is just too lacking to realize why these instructions are ok?)

Prior to where your patch makes changes, the docs say, "If you are building PostgreSQL for Microsoft Windows, read this chapter if you intend to build with MinGW or Cygwin". I think going on to tell the users to use `su` is a bit odd. Does that exist in standard MinGW and Cygwin environments? I thought "run as" was the Windows option for this.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company