Re: race conditions in my sequences

From: "Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com>
To: "Jeremy Hansen" <jeremy(at)xxedgexx(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: race conditions in my sequences
Date: 2001-08-16 19:09:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> Any suggestions would be more then appreciate as always. Is there a
> better way to do what I'm trying to do?

I would recommend using only one sequence for the master table. Then just
reference that sequence value for the two foreign keys. For example:

BEGIN;
INSERT INTO Bugs (bug_date) VALUES (CURRENT_DATE);
INSERT INTO BugA (bug_id,bug_desc) VALUES (currval('bugs_bug_id_seq'),'This
is a bug');
INSERT INTO BugB (bug_id,bug_fix) VALUES (currval('bugs_bug_id'),'Reinstall
Windows... again');
COMMIT;

This way, you don't have to worry about sequences getting out of sync
because they all refer to the same value.

As for the timestamp problem... I don't know how you are trying to INSERT
those values (interface, SQL, etc).

Greg