Re: Excessive context switching on SMP Xeons

From: SZUCS Gábor <surrano(at)mailbox(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Excessive context switching on SMP Xeons
Date: 2004-10-06 17:28:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hmmm...

I may be mistaken (I think last time I read about optimization params was in
7.3 docs), but doesn't RPC < 1 mean that random read is faster than
sequential read? In your case, do you really think reading randomly is 4x
faster than reading sequentially? Doesn't seem to make sense, even with a
zillion-disk array. Theoretically.

Also not sure, but sort_mem and vacuum_mem seem to be too small to me.

G.
\end