Re: Is it possible in PostgreSQL?

From: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Bronx" <tobronx(at)go2(dot)pl>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is it possible in PostgreSQL?
Date: 2004-01-18 13:02:43
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Moving thread over to SQL list as it belongs there.

Bronx: This certainly is possible, but IMO, not in one query. Actually doing it will be relatively complex. For purposes of maintenance, I am thinking that doing this would be better handled by wrapping at least one view.

CREATE VIEW sales_pre_proc AS
SELECT name, quantity, to_char("date", 'YYYY') AS year, to_char("date", 'MM') FROM sales;

This is needed for the group by statement below to function properly:
CREATE VIEW sales_month_summary AS
SELECT name, sum(quantity) AS quantity, year, month from sales_pre_proc
GROUP BY name, year, month;

This will give you a view that will have the sum information. Now we just have to create the statement which will create the pivot effect. I understand that there is something under contrib/tablefunc for this, but I do not have it on my system (cygwin), at the moment. Perhaps someone else can help.

Failing that, you can write your own function to return each row. I was working on a quick proof of concept but it was not working properly.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers