Re: [INTERFACES] More about large objects

From: "Gregory W Burnham" <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] More about large objects
Date: 1999-02-02 05:29:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The postgresql docs, I posted the url didn't I? Here it is again.

http://looking-glass.usask.ca/postgresql/docs/postgres/largeobjects.htm

And this is a quote from that page.

<QUOTE>
Originally, Postgres 4.2 supported three standard implementations of large
objects: as files external to Postgres, as UNIX files managed by Postgres,
and as data stored within the Postgres database. It causes considerable
confusion among users. As a result, we only support large objects as data
stored within the Postgres database in PostgreSQL.
</QUOTE>

So according to this, the large objects are stored in the table But
from what I gather from the earlier large object talk, and from my
own observation, postgres uses external files. Am I deluded? Am I
missing something?

Gregory W Burnham
Software Engineer
Excite Labs