Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in
Date: 2002-06-26 06:08:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, I want to know, does anyone see MySQL gaining in market share in
> comparison to PostgreSQL, or is MySQL gaining against other databases?
> Is MySQL gaining sites faster than we are gaining sites?
>
> Every indication I can see is that PostgreSQL is gaining on MySQL.
>
> The Linux/FreeBSD comparison is potent. Does PostgreSQL remain a niche
> player? Does *BSD remain a niche player?

In all honestly, I think that MySQL simply expands the market for Postgres.
MySQL is widely promoted by every idiot out there. So everyone and their
dog starts using MySQL. Then about 6 months later they realise it sucks
(which is _exactly_ what happened at our business) and then they switch to
Postgres. Every day on PHPBuilder's SQL forum there is someone asking why
their subselect doesn't work in MySQL and how hard is it to migrate from
MySQL.

In fact, probably the best thing we can offer is an _excellent_ MySQL to
PostgreSQL conversion tool.

Chris