different characteristics of the different types of the queries?

From: "Mohammed A" <mjalha(at)essex(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <mjalha(at)essex(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Subject: different characteristics of the different types of the queries?
Date: 2001-05-11 15:50:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Dear All,
Thank you very much for your help and explanation. I would like to say that My background is Physics, thus I would be very grateful if you kindly spare me some of your time, and give me more detail on;
the use of these types of queries, the performance (read only), the workload. and any information regarding the comparison between the use of all of them.

My name is Mr. Alhaddad, I'm a PhD student researching Parallel DB (My background is Physics) at
University of Essex. I would be very grateful if you could help me with a question regarding the
different characteristics of queries.

What are the different characteristics of the different types of the
following queries?

- DSS -decision support- queries
- OLAP queries
- TPC-D benchmark queries

- Banking queries
- OODB queries
- RDB queries

And any database application queries you know.

here are some brief explanation, which I want it in more discussion detail:

- DSS- read-mostly, returning aggregates of given data

- OLAP- typically involving ranking, time series, and inter-level ratioslike
percentage of all or percentage of parent. Many people think that
OLAP is simply hierachical cross-tabs, which OLAP certainly provides,
but I apply a somewhat more stringent standard.

- Standard SQL- row-oriented, very weak in concepts of dimensionality,
- hierarchy, ordering, but strong in terms of relating elements of data.

- TPC-D is DSS oriented, with classes of ad-hoc and of predictable
- queries. Ad-hoc are harder to tune the database and indexes for.

- OODB: has one of the attribute BLOB (Binary Large Object), which effect the query.

Thank you

Kind Regards