Re: Query optimizer 8.0.1 (and 8.0)

From: Tzahi Fadida <tzahi_ml(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query optimizer 8.0.1 (and 8.0)
Date: 2005-02-14 03:13:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just my 2 cents.
I am not a super statistics guy but besides increasing the sample size
and
assumming things on the distribution, I understand you want to get more
info on what distribution the data represents.
usualy the problem with these things is that the data needs to be sorted
on the
index key and also it could take a while, at least for the one time you
want
to find out what is the distribution. Example:
for comulative distributions you need to first sort the data (I am
talking scalars but
probably other keys can work) and run it sequentially thru a
KS(Kolmogorov smirnov) test.
(there are other tests but this is good for general cases)
The test can be against all kind of comulative distributions like
normals,etc...
You then get a feel of how close is the data to the selected
distribution with
a parameter that can be rejected at 0.01, 0.05, 0.1, etc...

Anyway, it can be done, however I am not sure how much better is it over
just plain histograms with random() and uniform dist. Or what happens if
you
just increase the sample size and be done with it.
Again, I am talking about the general/common cases.

Regards,
tzahi.