Re: Duplicate key

From: "Gaetano Mendola" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Duplicate key
Date: 2003-09-08 22:17:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Gaetano Mendola" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> > I had one row duplicated with the same login and the same id_user,
> > was failing was the update of that row complaining about the duplicated
> > key.
>
> Oh. Your report was quite unclear; I thought you were saying that
> REINDEX had somehow built two copies of the same index.

I don't know if this time was a reindex or not, but for the other table
I'm sure, I had several times the duplicate key and removing the reindex the
problem disapperead.

> Is the row actually duplicated, or has it just managed to acquire two
> pointers to itself in the indexes? You could check by seeing whether
> the two apparent instances have the same or different ctid values
> (ctid is a system column not shown unless you ask for it, like oid).
> If they are different ctids, it would be useful to see whether they have
> the same or different oid,xmin,cmin,xmax,cmax (more system columns).

I already fixed the problem so I can not perform the select,
before remove the two rows I selected the oid and it was duplicated too.
Next time I will select the suggested columns.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola