Re: Applying logical replication changes by more than one process

From: konstantin knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Applying logical replication changes by more than one process
Date: 2016-03-22 06:32:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 21, 2016, at 4:30 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:

> On 21/03/16 14:25, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> Huh? How come?
>>
>> If you use the session mechanism the replication progress is synced with
>> the apply process, even if there are crashes. Crash recovery updates the
>> progress. There's no such interlock with apply otherwise, and I don't
>> see how you can build one with reasonable effort.
>>

> Ah you mean because with wal_log=true the origin advance is in different WAL record than commit? OK yeah you might be one transaction behind then, true.

It actually means that we can not enforce database consistency. If we do replorigin_advance before commit and then crash happen, then we will loose some changes.
If we call replorigin_advance after commit but crash happen before, then some changes can be applied multiple times. For example we can insert some record twice (if there are no unique constraints).
Look likes the only working scenario is to setup replication session for each commit and use locking to prevent concurrent session setup for the same slot by multiple process, doesn't it?
I have tried it, fortunately it doesn't cause any noticeable performance degradation. But unfortunately can't consider such approach as elegant.
Why it is actually necessary to bind replication slot to process? Why it is not possible to have multiple concurrent sessions for the same slot?

Also I concern about using sequential search for slot location in replorigin_session_setup and many other functions - there is loop through all max_replication_slots.
It seems to be not a problem when number of slots is less than 10. For multimaster this assumption is true - even Oracle RAC rarely has two-digit number of nodes.
But if we want to perform sharding and use logical replication for providing redundancy, then number of nodes and slots can be essentially larger.
I didn't think much about such configuration - may be it possible to propose more efficient mechanism for replication in this case.