Re: PG 11 feature count

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 11 feature count
Date: 2018-05-18 16:01:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On May 18, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 2018-May-17, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> 9.5 200
>> 9.6 220
>> 10 194
>> 11 167
>
> Just yesterday Andres was telling us that pg11 has so much new stuff,
> when compared to 9.5 and 9.6, that seemed to have not as much shiny
> things. I think it's all in the eye of the beholder; our releases are
> large, and getting larger every year.

Quality, not quantity? ;-)

We did add a lot of really big things this year.

> Maybe we should publish a sloccount evolution study :-)

Or even a feature evolution study (though I know there have been
quite a few presentations showing the history of PostgreSQL).
I recall a lot of the earlier versions of PostgreSQL were focused on stability
and fundamental database features, as well as building out the core plumbing
for the major features we are adding today.

Jonathan