Re: serverless postgresql

From: "Rick Gigger" <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
To: "David Garamond" <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
Cc: "Jeff Bowden" <jlb(at)houseofdistraction(dot)com>, "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serverless postgresql
Date: 2004-01-15 18:11:22
Lists: pgsql-general

> Rick Gigger wrote:
> > I have just about the same sort of needs now and concluded that postgres
> > just is not suited for embedding into apps like that.
>
> Why not? It's not that the PostgreSQL backend is a mammoth like Oracle.
> The Firebird embedded version is pretty much the same as their server,
> but without network and client authentication layer.
>
> However, embedded usually demands that the backend be threaded.
> Otherwise it will be pretty useless/very inconvenient to use in many
> apps. Perhaps this is the major change that's hard to do?

I should have said that postgres isn't suited for running in-proccess with
the rest of your app. Or at least the developers don't think (and I guess I
agree now) that it's a good idea. They could however make a library that
would start up the server in multiprocess mode and run it in the background.