Re: Debugger integration

From: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debugger integration
Date: 2007-03-30 15:45:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

From: "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> So far, the code has been modified mainly to get rid of it's use of MDI
>> windows, and to use wxAUI instead, and to integrate it into the pgAdmin
>> build system.
> Cool.

:-)

>> Having tried it on OS X, I find we have a problem. On that platform,
>> executables are distributed inside 'appbundles' [1] which include
>> resources without which applications cannot be used (they start, but
>> cannot gain focus). What I didn't realise though, was that there doesn't
>> seem to be a way to include the resources for two executables in the
>> same appbundle.
>
>> Another option is to build a second appbundle for the debugger, however
>> we would want this to be included within the pgAdmin appbundle, not
>> externally. I cannot see from the docs if this is actually possible.
>> Anyone know?
> I believe that this is possible - I'll have to check, but I can vaguely
> remember that I already saw applications in the wild that did exactly
> this. Actually, it might be as easy as just putting a normal appbundle
> into the Ressources folder.

Oh, Sound good to me!

>> The final option (which I am currently favouring) would be to move the
>> debugger code into pgAdmin itself, rather than keeping it as a separate
>> application. This has the disadvantage that the architecture if the
>> debugger is quite different from pgAdmin, so whilst it could work, it
>> will always seem a little odd unless largely rewritten.
> Sounds like the most elegant option - do you think this will happen
> before 1.8, or should we pursue the appbundle-inside-appbundle idea
> for 1.8

Umm, There may also be structure which debugger is connected with PostgreSQL
by itself and waits for a response, and it may not be desirable on a constitution.
The call from pgAdmin3 uses one stream of them. Probably, it may be hard to
understand an operation of a users.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito