Re: help: now() + N is now failing!

From: "Mendola Gaetano" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: help: now() + N is now failing!
Date: 2003-07-30 00:32:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> One of the problems people have with using C++ that way is that the
> compiler tends to pick unexpected interpretations --- which is exactly
> the problem I'm complaining about for Postgres. Ask anyone who's worked
> on large systems in C++, they'll have some horror stories to tell you...

I agree partialy with you, implicit cast save you a lot of work and people
that had horror stories are people that are not using the "explicit" keyword
in the constructor.
May be is a good idea to permit this kind of hint in the
function declaration for postgres:

create function foo( explicit timestamptz, int );

so either if the cast text->timestamptz exist you can not
call

select foo( text, int ).

Regards
Gaetano Mendola