Re: Lost rows/data corruption?

From: "Andrew Hall" <temp02(at)bluereef(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Alban Hertroys" <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>, "Marco Colombo" <pgsql(at)esiway(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lost rows/data corruption?
Date: 2005-02-17 08:31:17
Lists: pgsql-general

> Do you happen to have the same type disks in all these systems? That could
> point to a disk cache "problem" (f.e. the disks lying about having written
> data from the cache to disk).
>
> Or do you use the same disk parameters on all these machines? Have you
> tried using the disks w/o write caching and/or in synchronous mode
> (contrary to "async").

It's all pretty common stuff, quite a few customers use standard IDE
(various flavours of controller/disk), some now use SATA (again various
brands) and the rest use SCSI. The kernel we use is the standard Linus
approved kernel with the inbuilt drivers as part of the kernel. We don't
supply any non-default parameters to the disk controllers.

Thanks for your suggestion on write caching, I'll look into this, I'm also
tempted to try a different journalling FS too.