Re: One large v. many small

From: "Chad Thompson" <chad(at)weblinkservices(dot)com>
To: "Noah Silverman" <noah(at)allresearch(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One large v. many small
Date: 2003-01-30 19:43:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

I have a database running on PostgresSQL w/ close to 7 million records in
one table and ~ 3 million in another, along w/ various smaller supportive
tables.
Before I started here everything was run out of small tables, one for each
client, similar ( i think ) to what you are doing now.
We submit ~ 50 - 100K records each week. And before we moved to one table,
our company had no idea of how it was doing on a daily, weekly or monthly
basis. Now that we have moved to one large structure, new ideas about
reporting funtions and added services we can give to our clients are poping
up all the time.

There are MANY benifts to following Josh's advice and putting all your
information in one table. Others than those given, what if you wanted to
give an added service to your clients where they are made aware of similar
postings by your other clients. Running this kind of report would be a
nightmare in your current situation.

As far as performance goes, I am able to join these 2 tables along w/ others
and get the information, counts etc., that I need, using some rather
complicated queries, in about 2-3 seconds per query. While this may sound
awful realize that Im running on a standard workstation PIII 700, and for
the money, Its a dream!

More importantly you need to realize, as my coworkers have now done, that
anything that you can do w/ a small table, you can do w/ one big table and
an extra line in the where clause (eg. Where client_id = 'blah' ).
PostgresSQL has wonderful support and many excellent DBA's that if you post
a SQL problem they are very supportive in helping solve the problem.

I hope this helps make your decision.
Thanks
Chad