Re: compiler warnings in ODBC

From: Peter Harvey <pharvey(at)codebydesign(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compiler warnings in ODBC
Date: 2001-11-06 03:47:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 05 November 2001 12:05, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Peter Harvey writes:
> > Also; it would be nice if someone would write a couple of m4 macros
> > for detecting defaults (i.e. Is unixODBC being used on the system? Is
> > iODBC being used on the system?).
>
> This is sort of my long-term idea, i.e., just use "the" ODBC driver that's
> available. However, I'm not sure if it's entirely appropriate to do that,
> for a number of reasons, one of which is that unixODBC and iODBC aren't
> pretending to be compatible, another is that if this were the way to go
> then we wouldn't really have a place for the standalone driver. For now,
> I think giving people the explicit choice is a good way to see where this
> is going at all.

unixODBC and iODBC have actually been working towards the same goal. The
specification is clear enough. The difference is that they have had different
levels of resources and different priorities.

Having said that; I am just happy to see people taking the time to work these
issues out :)

--
Peter Harvey
CodeByDesign - http://www.codebydesign.com