Re: Bulk Insert / Update / Delete

From: "Philip Boonzaaier" <phil(at)cks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bulk Insert / Update / Delete
Date: 2003-08-21 18:18:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Jason.

The UPDATE part works fine. However, INSERT still gives problems. For now,
I'm inserting hard coded values, and not from one table into the other.
I use

UPDATE telephones SET
telephone_type='CELL',
telephone_number=836789012
WHERE data_set='AA'
AND account_number=8
AND dependant_number=1
AND sub_entity='pers'
AND sub_occur=1

INSERT INTO telephones
VALUES ('AA',8,1,'pers',1,CELL,836789012);

even if I were getting these values from another table, I'd still have to
somehow determine if the data EXISTS in the telephones table before deciding
to UPDATE, or INSERT.

It looks like this is just not possible in a SQL query on its own, but has
to be done in a higher level language where the condition may be
successfully processed - i.e. SELECT * WHERE <same WHERE as above>
and then check IF EXISTS, if so, UPDATE, if not INSERT.

Or would I be able to achieve such functionality by writing a Function ?

Regards

Phil