Re: how to use record type

From: Horst Herb <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "Jeff Eckermann" <jeckermann(at)verio(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to use record type
Date: 2001-08-19 13:20:06
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

On Saturday 18 August 2001 00:18, you wrote:
> I have encountered this problem (in a different context), and could not
> find a way to insert entire rows/records in the way that you appear to
> want. But it worked fine if I INSERTed explicitly, like:
> INSERT INTO table VALUES (OLD.field1, OLD.field2, ..., OLD.fieldn);
> That should work fine inside a plpgsql function.

This is what I have been doing until recently. Rather ugly, as it is >250
different tables which need this. Meaning that I had to manually write the
trigger functions for each table, attribute by attribute.

At present, I solved the situation like that:

- all tables that need the trigger function inherit a parent table
- a python script scans all tables inheriting the parent table and then
generates the trigger functions for them. I still execute the script manually
after updating or inserting tables.
- now I am trying to find out how to implement a trigger on the system tables
that will fire my Python script automatically whenever a table inheriting
this special parent table is altered or created.

Sad that such an ugly hack is neccessary though.

Horst