Re: [RPM] Possible problem with package postgresql-libs-7.1.2-5PGDG?

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Jerry Seutter <jseutter(at)phoenixcan(dot)com>, "'pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RPM] Possible problem with package postgresql-libs-7.1.2-5PGDG?
Date: 2001-08-14 18:28:06
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Friday 10 August 2001 16:12, Jerry Seutter wrote:
> Heya, just read the readme and it said to email you with problems.
> I don't know if this is a real problem or not, but here goes.

> I was trying to install phpPgAdmin, which uses the package php-pgsql.
> phpPgAdmin complained that mod_pgsql or something like that wasn't working
> in Apache. Upon further investigation, I found that it was looking for
> /usr/lib/libpq.so, which used to be provided in older versions of this
> package. I don't know if it was taken out of the rpm for good reason
> or not, so I'm letting you know about it. Other than that, thanks for
> a great package!

Hmmm.

Install postgresql-devel. Late 7.1.2 RPMs moved libpq.so (the symlink) to
the devel subpackage. The actual libpq shared object is named libpq.so.2.1,
and the others are all symlinks to it.

The program in question should be linked against libpq.so.2.1, not plain
libpq.so. However, installation of the -devel package provides the symlink.

Thanks to Trond, I now understand _why_ libpq.so (the symlink, not the actual
shared object) belongs in the -devel subpackage -- but the other packages in
question apparently are not following the 'normal' rules......

Or you can symlink /usr/lib/libpq.so to /usr/lib/libpq.so.2
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio