upgrading RPM query

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: upgrading RPM query
Date: 2001-08-07 15:27:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

I've got a RH7.1 installation which came with 7.0.3 as rpms. This is what
I'm running at the moment. I've just been to (a mirror of)
ftp.postgresql.org which has rpms for 7.1.2 in a directory

binary/v7.1.2/RPMS/redhat-7.1

which I asume is the set of RPM's that I need. However, when I read
README.rpm-dist is says that the rpms with PGDG in the name are generic ones
and states that dist based ones are preferable.

I'm at bit confused at this, as I would have thought that the path to the
RPM's would suggest that they are specific enough - no?

If this is the case, can anyone suggest the best way to upgrade to 7.1.2 on
my system, as the latest ones that RH have produces are for v7.0.3 (the
latest you can get from their download page is v7.0.2).

--
Gary Stainburn