Unexpected *ABORT STATE*

From: Mike Finn <mike(dot)finn(at)tacticalExecutive(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unexpected *ABORT STATE*
Date: 2001-07-30 16:27:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Seems that during an interactive transaction at the psql prompt
any syntax error will cause the following state to be entered

NOTICE: current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
transaction block
*ABORT STATE*

This is a bit annoying since it reared up near the end of a long and complex
data manipulation session. I don't want to be at all pushy (just about
anything else is probably higher priority) and stress that Its not a big
problem but I was wondering why this occurs, and if it is on the todo list to
fix.

here is a sample

gbtest=> begin;
BEGIN
gbtest=> select * fro pg_trigger;
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "fro"
gbtest=> select * from pg_trigger;
NOTICE: current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
gbtest=> rollback;

Mike.

Mike Finn
Tactical Executive Systems
mike(dot)finn(at)tacticalExecutive(dot)com