example of [outer] join

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-sql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: example of [outer] join
Date: 2001-07-20 10:22:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi, me again.

I'm having fun here, but here's another question for you.

Could someone please give me an example of a join where one of the fields is
missing - I think reading from the docs that this is an OUTER join, but I'm
having a problem with the syntax. I'm trying to create a view that pulls in
all the relevent details for a single member.

I'm still with my members table, which has links to the address table (m.madd
= a.aid), teams table (m.mteam = t.tid) and the email table (m.memail =
e.eid).

While every member has an address, and every member belongs to a team, not
everyone has an email address. My problem is that every member without an
email address gets omitted from the result set.

My view so far is:
CREATE view member_dets as
select *,
getphone(m.mphone) as phone,