Metadata for tables, schema, and numeric

From: Mike Finn <mike(dot)finn(at)tacticalExecutive(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Metadata for tables, schema, and numeric
Date: 2001-07-04 13:56:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Using 7.1 the following don't ever seem to return anything

getCatalogName(int)
getSchemaName(int)
getTableName(int)

has this been implemented in a newer version of the JDBC driver
If yes... where to get it?
If no... is it planned?

As well
getPrecision(int)
always returns 0 for type numeric(p,s). I checked the source for the driver
(jdbc2) and it seems to always set this to zero as it is not a type checked
for in the switch list (or cascading if's -- it was yesterday when I checked).

Is this because the backend does not provide this information to a client or
is it simply a matter of little more code to the driver to explicitly check
for a few more types?

gb=> \d customer
Table "customer"
Attribute | Type | Modifier
---------------------------+---------------+----------
seqcustomer | numeric(15,0) | not null
name | text | not null
<other fields>

and executing this query

select customer.seqCustomer from customer

gives the following

getColumnName: seqcustomer
getCatalogName:
getColumnLabel: seqcustomer
getSchemaName:
getTableName:
getPrecision: 0
getScale: 0

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Mike Finn
Tactical Executive Systems
mike(dot)finn-pgsql-jdbc(at)tacticalExecutive(dot)com