Re: Calling psql from a shell script

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Wayne Johnson <wdtj(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Calling psql from a shell script
Date: 2001-06-28 14:18:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi Wayne,

There should be no problems using psql in shell scripts. I do it to provide
HTML output in some of my early cgi's (although I now use Perl/DBI).

I think you can get psql to squirt out the data in kinda CSV format by
setting the delimiters that it should use. It's a long time since I did
anything like that, but I think it's got something to do with the \pset
commands.

The way I do it is to pass the commands to psql through STDIN using a heredoc
inside the shell script, and then use \o to direct the output and send STDOUT
to the bit bucket. Using the -q option to psql to quiet the startup and
prompt outputs, you could do it with STDOUT directly.

Gary

--
Gary Stainburn