Help on Postgres and locale - norwegian characters are not possible in my SuSE 7.0 stock install

From: Lars Forseth <larsf(at)powertech(dot)no>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help on Postgres and locale - norwegian characters are not possible in my SuSE 7.0 stock install
Date: 2001-03-29 19:44:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!
I'm back with a new problem! Having made Postgres start an run properly, I
discover that I have no support for the norwegian special characters/letters
(like ø,æ, or å). I.e when I try to enter a word with those special letters
in they (the letters) are replaced by other special letters or characters,
among them the 'epsilon' (I think its called(, math sign for sum)).

Reading about locale in the doc's tells me that I might have to compile my
own version, with support for my locale, i.e norwegian. But how? (i.e wat
options to use?).

Any other way (option) around this?

Regards Lars Forseth

PS I've looked at the archive; and googles news search engine without any
luck; but a pointer to relevant info on the net is very much apreciated.

Lars Forseth
http://www.uio.no/~forseth
MS WIN > /dev/null
TUX rules