selecting using WHERE on arrays

From: Adam Lowry <aclowry(at)umr(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: selecting using WHERE on arrays
Date: 2001-02-25 04:30:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello, I'm getting ramped up on pgsql, and so far the documentation has
helped wonderfully on everything but this problem.

Is it possible to perfom a select query where that will return any row that
contains a particular value in an attribute array? That does't sound very
clear. What I'm trying to do is something like this (to use a music album
analogy):

in a table ALBUM we'd have:
name text, etc
artist integer[] - where these integers are foreign keys into the artist
table.

what I'd like to do is:
select * from album where <artist index X is in artist array>;

Is this possible? All I've been able to do so far is select where a value = a
particular entry in the array ( [0] for example). Am I thinking about this
all wrong?

Thanks, Adam