FAQ suggestion: "How to upgrade from a previous release"

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FAQ suggestion: "How to upgrade from a previous release"
Date: 2001-02-16 05:44:36
Lists: pgsql-general

I think we may need something like this in the FAQ.

The pg download page says something like:
"NOTE: If upgrading from a version earlier than v7.0 an initdb will be
required"

Maybe the initdb could be linked to an explanation on how best to do it? And
whether it _could_ destroy data or not.

And there's something called pg_upgrade mentioned in the docs.

Meanwhile I'm not entirely sure what are the recommended upgrade methods. I
believe there are at least two depending on whether the db format has changed
or not.

Anyway I'd probably pg_dump my databases, install the new Pg, recreate
users, reload the databases.

Cheerio,
Link.