Re: "PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662" - twice

From: Evgeny Morozov <postgresql3(at)realityexists(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662" - twice
Date: 2023-05-17 07:16:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On 17/05/2023 1:39 am, Andres Freund wrote:
> Try to prevent the DROP DATABASE from getting cancelled :/.

I still don't know why that's happening. I mean, I know why it gets
cancelled (the client timeout we set in Npgsql), but I don't know why
the drop does not succeed within 30 seconds. We could, of course,
increase that timeout, but my gut feeling is that if it hasn't happened
in 30 seconds it won't happen in 5 minutes, either, and the connection
will have to be closed eventually. Can you think of any way to
troubleshoot that?

> If you want to go a bit further, you could rename the database to
> *_dropped before dropping it, and then try to do the DROP DATABASE.
> That way you'd at least know that it's corrupt because of a failed
> DROP database.

That's a good idea and I will do that, but my bigger concern is PG
crashing entirely with the "PANIC" error and refusing to start again. I
still don't know why that happened back in April (but not this time, in
May), so I don't know how to prevent that.